Sunday, March 24, 2024

Thumbs up to ranking our fingers, from 10 to 1

Late last year, I finally had a procedure to fix my trigger finger. I won't bore you with details, I just want to highlight how cool the name "trigger finger" is. The best part was as it was healing, I could tell people I had an "itchy trigger finger."

The affected digit was the ring finger on my left hand, which got me to thinking. How important is that finger?

Which got me thinking. How important is each finger?

Which got me thinking. Could this be another column where I rank things?

Yes it can. Thus, today's list of power ranking fingers. For simplicity, I'll rank them for a right-hander, so if you're a lefty, just flip the script: When I say your right thumb, that means left thumb for you.

Got it? Even a southpaw should be able to understand that (or portsider. I learned all my synonyms for "left-hander" by reading about baseball as a kid).  And by the way, for sake of these rankings, a thumb is considered a finger. We have 10 fingers (unless you're former pitcher Antonio Alfonseca, who had 12 digits.)

The rankings:

10. Right ring finger. It's pretty weak and while it's important for a grip (you can't hold a golf club or tennis racket well without it), you can generally survive without it. A surprisingly low ranking on first glance, but stick with me.

9. Left pinky finger. Mostly for containment of pills or M&Ms or anything you put in your left hand. But it's replaceable and it's not your dominant hand.

8. Right pinky finger. Surprisingly important to hold things (such as pills, as just mentioned) and this is your dominant hand. Also needed for a pinky ring if you're a mobster or to show you're sophisticated while drinking something if you're British.

7. Left index finger. You need it to make a fist. You need this finger to pinch anything in your off hand.

6. Left second finger. Crucial for holding cooking utensils, since we usually need both hands for that. Also a key typing finger, since it's the backup for the left index and ring fingers. This is the Frank Reich of fingers, if you know NFL history.

5. Left ring finger. I experienced the loss of much of the movement of this digit and it was inconvenient but not disastrous. However, it's the finger for a wedding ring and Mrs. Brad may read this. This is an important finger.

4. Right second finger. We all think the same thing with this one and it's true: It's the flip-off finger. But it's also crucial for grip. Gripping and flipping is the second finger's motto.

3. Right index finger. The main pointer, which is important. Also, it's how you indicate you are number one. It's pretty important.

2. Left thumb. Crucial for grip, although if it's your weaker hand, you could probably survive without it. Survive, but not thrive. It's still very important.

1. Right thumb. The king of fingers. Lose this digit and you can't grab things. You can't snap. You can't give anything two thumbs up. You can't suck your thumb. You need this one.

You've got to hand it to our fingers. They're important. I'll let myself out.

Reach Brad Stanhope at bradstanhope@outlook.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment