Monday, September 27, 2021

Crossword puzzles leave me clueless and frustrated

I like words. I've spent most of my adult life as a writer of one sort or another (mostly "another") and often make fun of famous people who misuse words. I'm a snob in that way, although mostly secretly (because I know that publicly making fun of someone's grammar or word use guarantees that I will make a mistake).

I should be a fan of crossword puzzles.

I'm not.

They make me mad, in the same way a 5-year-old gets mad: "It's not fair. It's stupid. They're cheating!"

Shortly before the pandemic began, Mrs. Brad and I made a change in our nightly ritual. Instead of watching TV, we'd do something else at about 9 p.m. We'd go into our office (really, the second bedroom at our swank residential compound) and she'd do a hobby (paint, build tiny rooms) and I would either write or try puzzles.

Emphasis on try.

I'm not a puzzle fan, but I figured I could become one. How hard can puzzles be? I read "Highlights" as a child in doctors' waiting rooms. I can spot the differences in two drawings, I can solve a maze that's designed for 6-year-olds, so I should be able to do Sudoku and crosswords.

Turns out Sudoku isn't that hard. The more difficult puzzles are very hard, but the easy and medium-difficulty ones? I can at least attempt them. Sudoku is an elimination puzzle. You can usually figure things out if you just keep trying and eliminating possibilities.

It turns out crossword puzzles are just as hard as I remembered them being. Because of the blasted puzzle makers.

People who put together crossword puzzles have two major problems:

  • They give clues that have multiple answers.
  • They give clues that no normal person could solve.

I can figure out most clues that don't fall into those categories. But invariably, I run into the second or third clue in a crossword puzzle and it's something like this: "A five-letter word for fast."

What the heck? A five-letter word for "fast?" Maybe swift? Quick? Rapid? Speed? Fasty?

Those types of clues just make me mad. I'm allowed to be sloppy – I commonly make grammar errors and misspell words and expect grace from readers. But the people who put together crossword puzzles and school tests should be exact, right?

Right?

Anyway, those are the clues that have too many answers. The other frequent irritating crossword puzzle clue is the clue that no normal person could solve.

Invariably, a crossword puzzle will have a clue like, "The mythical river credited with the founding of Glasgow." "Or, "Tippi Hedren's beau in 'The Harrad Experiment.'" Or, "Third-most-popular character in written Mandarin."

I could see how someone could know one of those things. Maybe a Scottish historian or movie buff or Chinese language expert. But who knows all of them? Who knows two of them?

When these clues invariably occur, I just get mad. "Who does these puzzles?" I ask Mrs. Brad, who looks up from her painting with a patient smile. "Some sort of wizard?"

By then, I'm just mad.

Of course, there is the occasional payoff if I stick with it and keep trying the puzzles. Eventually, there's a clue I know. Sometimes, it's not even easy.

Maybe it's: Warriors last All-Star before David Lee (Sprewell) or Philly Group that Sang "Love Train" (OJays).

Or maybe it's this: Better puzzle than crossword (Sudoku or Highlights maze).

Reach Brad Stanhope at bradstanhope@outlook.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment